The city limits of Paris from the 4th century to today. Wall of Philippe Auguste PDF V, extending on the right bank. Louis XIII Wall, extending on the western part of the right bank. Wall of the Farmers-General, for tax purposes.
Le règne de Philippe Auguste (1165-1223) marque un tournant décisif tant pour la monarchie capétienne que pour la fondation et l’extension du royaume de France. Usant habilement des structures de la société féodale, il mit en place une administration centrale efficace lui permettant d’imposer son pouvoir dans le domaine royal, qu’il étendit notamment à la Normandie et à l’Anjou. Fin diplomate et chef militaire de grande envergure, il sut tirer profit de la rivalité entre Henri II d’Angleterre et son fils, Richard Coeur de Lion. L’avènement du médiocre Jean sans Terre et la bataille de Bouvines, première victoire réellement « française » face à une coalition européenne, lui permit de faire main basse sur les fiefs continentaux des Plantagenêts. Aujourd’hui encore, de nombreuses constructions témoignent de son intense activité militaire : mur d’enceinte de Paris, donjons fortifiés disséminés sur le territoire, de Châteaudun à Gisors. Jean Flori brosse ainsi le portrait d’un roi guerrier, bâtisseur et administrateur d’exception, à la personnalité complexe, parfois austère, qui sut poser les bases de l’État moderne.
As Paris expanded over time, new walls were built to consolidate the existing city with new houses, gardens, and vegetable fields. Existing walls would eventually be destroyed and its site built up into a street or boulevard. Charles V and Louis XIII Walls. The outer boulevards, built in place of the Wall of the Farmers-General.
Before its occupation by the Romans, Lutetia lacked proper defenses and was therefore partially demolished at the beginning of the Roman occupation. The first wall of Paris was probably built by the Gauls on the river Seine, although its exact location is unknown. Lutetia developed on the left bank of the Seine during Roman times, and to a lesser extent on the Île de la Cité. The right bank was uninhabitable mostly due to marshes. During the first barbarian invasions in 285, the people of Lutetia abandoned the left bank and took refuge on the Île de la Cité and destroyed the bridges.
French National Institute for Preventive Archaeological Research. This confirmed the probable existence of an enclosure around the centre of Paris on the right bank around the tenth century. The Wall of Philippe Auguste was built between 1190 and 1213, enclosing 253 hectares on both sides of the river Seine. Many elements were later incorporated into private buildings or into the Wall of Charles V. Paris grew very fast during this period and soon extended from the Montagne Sainte-Geneviève to the roads leading to the abbey of Saint-Denis.
A new wall was thus begun in 1190, on the order of Philip Augustus, but paid for by the city. This new wall was eight feet thick, protected by wide and deep ditches, and had five hundred towers. It ran from the current location of the Pont des Arts, approached the porte Saint-Honoré, opened at the porte Coquillière, reached the porte Saint-Denis, porte Mauconseil, porte Babette, came to rue Vielle-du-Temple, the rue des Francs-Bourgeois, to the porte Baudoyer and the quai des Célestins. The Wall of Charles V was built from 1356 to 1383, during the reign of Charles V and his son and successor Charles VI. The area enclosed on the right bank increased and included the mansions of the Marais and the Templar enclosure. The Louis XIII Wall was designed by Jacques Lemercier and built between 1633 and 1636. From 1670 onwards, Louis XIV believed that as a result of his conquests, Paris had been made a secure city.